Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. The accursed team, deeply and loyally beloved by fans all over the region of Kansai, was founded in 1935 and plays out of Hanshin K˘shien Stadium. Although they did not pick up a Japan Series championship until 1985, their rivalry with Tokyo's team is famous. What is the name of this unfortunate Kansai team?
2. To understand the origins of the curse, one must first grasp the level of devotion shown to the accursed team by their fans in Kansai. A good place to start is with the fact that the team's fight song is commonplace in Kansai's karaoke machines! In the song's official English version, one finds lines like, "Mighty spirit of the youth shows the victor's grace, the name that shines in glory ..." What mountain does the song refer to, in its first verse and in its title?
3. Even before their 1985 affliction by the Curse of the Colonel, the team had experienced a disheartening losing streak. Since the Japan Series championship was instituted in 1950, how many times had our heroes won the Series by the time the curse began?
4. If the MVP of the 1985 Japan Series hadn't been so unusual, jubilant fans would not have inadvertently provoked the curse. This first baseman, a gaijin (foreigner), played in the American Major Leagues for six years before becoming a star with the soon-to-be-accursed team. Who was this popular slugger, who went on to be elected state senator in his native Oklahoma?
5. The Curse of the Colonel is, unsurprisingly, blamed on a famous colonel, albeit one who was dead at the time. The colonel's spirit is supposedly angry about the undignified fate that befell a statue of him in the celebrations following the 1985 Japan Series. Who is the colonel in question?
6. The 1985 championship team is said to have been cursed because of what its fans did to the statue of a vengeful colonel. What is it that they did?
7. Was the ill-fated statue of the Colonel replaced after the 1985 incident?
8. After a stellar 1985 season, the accursed team began to build up one of the worst records in the Central League. How long did it take the team to win their next Central League pennant?
9. The Colonel who had cursed the unfortunate baseball team became a bit of an obsession with area fans. After a much-desired 2002 victory in another sport, fans in Kobe kidnapped another statue of the Colonel and cut off his hands! What was the occasion for this act of vandalism?
10. In 2003, the Curse of the Colonel claimed its first human victim. After a win by the accursed team, its fans celebrated in a similar way to their boisterous 1985 revels, and a young man lost his life. How did he die?
Source: Author CellarDoor
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor uglybird
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.