Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. As part of his introduction Meacham gives us John Kennedy's quote on Jefferson offered on the occasion of hosting a group of Nobel laureates. What was that famous quote?
2. American history is populated by great men from a wide variety of backgrounds, Abraham Lincoln born in a log cabin for instance. What was Jefferson's background?
3. How did Sally Hemmings come into Jefferson's attention?
4. Jefferson's wife, Martha, known as Patty, died in 1782. Jefferson was 39 years old. Why did he never remarry?
5. Jefferson's history with slavery is at best confused. It is said he opposed slavery but also owned many slaves. How can we reconcile this divergence?
6. You may know that Jefferson served as governor of Virginia. During what tempestuous time was he in this office?
7. The Battle of Yorktown was in 1781 but the Constitution was not accepted until 1789. What was the Federal Government doing during the intervening time?
8. There are those who might say our current two political party system is not serving us well. What did Jefferson think of political parties?
9. With the Constitution established and General Washington installed as President how might we describe the nature of the young nation?
10. In 1796, Jefferson stood for president. He came in second to John Adams. At that time the second place finisher got the job of Vice-President. At least based on his writings from the time, how did Jefferson feel about his second place finish?
Source: Author MicjealS
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor trident
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.