Quiz Answer Key and Fun Facts
1. Ivan Smetski, called Vanya, is an ordinary ten-year-old boy until his father hits on a plan to escape the Soviet Union. The family braves religious persecution while seeking a visa after converting to what faith?
2. In the final weeks of their wait for a visa, Vanya's family goes to stay on the farm of a relative. Who are their generous hosts?
3. Fifteen years later, the Smetskis are settled into American life in upstate New York. Dr. Smetski is a professor of linguistics at Mohegan University and Ivan is one of his graduate students, competing in track and field in his spare time. Then he falls in love. Who is the young woman he asks to marry him?
4. Just after his engagement, Ivan returns to Ukraine in order to work on his doctoral thesis. After some months of research, he visits his relatives' farm before heading home -- and returns to the woman sleeping above the leaf-filled pit. But as he watches her, he is attacked by the monster guarding her, and must fight back against what frightening beast?
5. The woman on the pedestal awakes and reaches for Ivan; the creature below is making threatening noises and is gearing up to pull Ivan down in order to kill him. She pleads with Ivan in an dead language, and Ivan understands and makes the proper response. The creature leaves. How did Ivan understand the woman he now knows is called Katerina?
6. Katerina guides Ivan back to the medieval kingdom, Taina, where she is a princess. There he learns that her people face a frightening enemy: the witch whom they call the Widow, or the Pretender, to avoid drawing her attention. What is the name of this villainess from Slavic fairy tales, infamous for her cruelty and her house with chicken legs?
7. Ivan has some trouble adjusting to medieval Taina. For example, the king insists that he convert to Christianity if he is to marry Katerina, and there doesn't seem to be a way out of the engagement. Whom does Father Lukas assign to tutor Ivan in the Gospels?
8. Of course, Ivan has other problems in Taina besides religion. There's a respected man there who had long planned to marry Katerina and become king himself, and naturally this man is no friend of the interloper from the future. Who is this dangerous individual, who is later turned traitor by Baba Yaga?
9. Katerina and Ivan learn of this treason on their wedding day, and they flee back to the twentieth century. This time, it's Katerina who is the fish out of water! But she is comforted and welcomed by Ivan's farming relative, who turns out to be what ancient Slavic deity?
10. Ivan and Katerina are distressed to learn that their enemy, the Widow, has followed them to modern times. They fly to America to stay with Ivan's parents, hoping that will throw her off their track while they come up with a plan to defeat her army back in medieval Taina. While in America, they study with what person who -- surprisingly -- turns out to be an accomplished witch?
Source: Author CellarDoor
This quiz was reviewed by FunTrivia editor Bruyere
before going online.
Any errors found in FunTrivia content are routinely corrected through our feedback system.